We welcome inquiries from prospective independent students. Examples of independent students include:
- Lay people wishing to deepen and enrich their faith by studying theology as part of a worshipping community;
- Lay and ordained ministers who want to take further study as part of their continuing professional development;
- Overseas students sponsored for ministry who want to come for a short period of study, subject to visa and immigration requirements.
Westcott House offers support for theological and ministerial study to set all of God’s people free in discipleship, ministry and mission. Teaching is delivered by highly experienced practitioners and tutors drawn from Westcott House’s staff and the wider Cambridge Theological Federation.
There are five typical ways that independent students can access independent study opportunities accredited by either Durham or Cambridge University at Westcott, subject to the admissions criteria and processes of those awards:
- Certificate in Higher Education (level 4): for lay people looking to develop their personal discipleship or ministry;
- Diploma of Theology for Ministry: a graduate-entry programme for individuals preparing for or already involved in authorized Christian ministry or service;
- Graduate Diploma: for lay people without prior theological study but with a good 2.1 degree in another subject, who are looking for a more demanding theology course, or a preparatory, credit-bearing course for the MA in our Postgraduate Study stream;
- The ‘Top-up’ BA (level 6): for recently licensed ministers who would like to convert their Common Awards Diploma to a full degree;
- The Postgraduate Diploma and MA: for experienced ordained ministers and others with prior theological study at a commensurate level.
Please see Fees and Maintenance for more information on academic and maintenance costs.
|File Name||File Format||Action|
|Application Form for Independent Students 2021-22||Word||Download|
|Application Form for Independent Students 2021-22||Download|